Add a bit of glamour to your bed or sofa with this striped cushion. This bright and fun free knitting project will add character to any room. Better still, it is both easy and fun to make!
By Jo Irving
You Will Need:
- 3.25mm (US size 3) knitting needles
- 1 x 100g ball green yarn (MC)
We used: Patons 100% Cotton 4 Ply Apple (01205)
- 1 x 25g ball purple yarn (C)
We used: Rowan Kidsilk Haze Blackcurrant (641)
- Fabric for cushion back: One piece 50cm x 50cm (20in x 20in)
We used: Liberty Art Mayfair Mosaic Flower Blue
- Green sewing thread – Gutermann colour 582
1. Divide the kid silk haze (yarn C) into two separate balls to make it easier for you to knit with two threads of this fine yarn.
2. Knit the cushion front following the pattern below.
Using yarn MC cast on 105sts (thumb method) and starting with a knit row knit stst (knit on right side RS, purl on wrong side WS) for 10 rows.
Row 11: Using two strands of yarn C, knit one row.
Row 12: Yarn MC for 8 rows.
Row 20: Yarn C for 2 rows.
Row 22: Yarn MC for 8 rows.
Row 30: Yarn C for 3 rows.
Row 33: Yarn MC for 8 rows.
Row 41: Yarn C for 4 rows.
Repeat this pattern until your knitted piece measures the size of your cushion pad (approximately 46cm x 46cm/18in x 18in).
Cast off and sew in the loose yarn ends.
3. Press your fabric square and carefully press your knitted square. With right sides facing, sew the knitted square to the fabric leaving one edge open.
4. Slip the cushion cover over the cushion pad. Over sew the open seam to join the knitted and fabric edge, leaving a neat seam.