This adorable crochet baby ball pattern by Fiona-Grace Peppler makes a perfect heirloom gift. Fun to make and great fun for baby, this sweet little baby’s gift is sure to be kept as a keepsake. Stitch the crochet baby ball pattern then make your ball rustle with one of the suggestions below.
You Will Need:
4mm (US size G/6) crochet hook
1 x 50g ball blue yarn (MC)
1 x 50g ball grey yarn (C)
We used Rowan Purelife Revive Grit (473)
We used Rowan Pumice (476)
Recycled plastic bag and scrap of light cotton
Ideas to make your baby ball rustle or rattle:
- Two drink bottle caps and two buttons (for rattle)
- An empty pill bottle and fill with rice
- A jingling bell
- A scrap of emergency foil blanket (available online) in the lining to make a fun crinkle sound
1. Make 12 pentagon pieces, following the pattern below:
Foundation ring: 4ch in yarn C — join with slst to form ring.
Rnd 1: 3ch (counts as 1tr), 9tr into ring, join with slst to 3rd ch. (10 sts)
Break off yarn C and join in MC.
Rnd 2: 1ch, *3dc into next st, 1dc into next st, rep from * 4 more times, join with slst into 1ch at beg of round. (20sts)
Rnd 3: 1ch, *3dc into next st, 1dc into next 3dc, rep from * 4 more times, join with slst into 1ch at beg of round. (30sts)
Rnd 4: 1ch, *3dc into next st, 1dc into next 5dc, rep from * 4 more times, join with slst into 1ch at beg of round. (40sts)
Rnd 5: 1ch, *3dc into next st, 1dc into next 7dc, rep from * 4 more times, join with slst into 1ch at beg of round. (50sts)
2. Assemble the pentagons into a ball using double crochet and yarn C, so each piece is surrounded by five others. Leave a gap to allow for stuffing (three sides open).
3. Cut the corner from an old plastic bag and use it to line the ball. Half stuff firmly with toy filling.
4. To make the rattle, tape the bottle caps together, having put two small buttons loose inside the cavity first. For the sake of safety, stitch the rattle inside a scrap of cloth, before placing in the ball. Stuff firmly around it.Sew the edges of the plastic bag together. Crochet the remaining edges closed.