Carolina Guzman Benitez is the creative force behind contemporary crochet business, One and Two Company. Her new book, Snuggle and Play Crochet, takes two key trends – amigurumi and security blankets or ‘loveys’ – and combines them into one amazing value package.
We recently caught up with Carolina to find out more about her, her loveys and the inspiration behind her crochet patterns.
- When did you first get into crochet?
I’ve done crochet since childhood. My mother and grandmother taught me and whenever I had free time I dedicated it to crochet. Later with the studies and my university career, I had to leave it aside for a while, but when my first daughter was born, I had a “peace period” which allowed me to resume my passion for crochet. Since then it has become an essential part of my life.
- Where did you come up with the brilliant idea to make toys with matching loveys?
When I started designing my own crochet patterns, I experimented with various design concepts until I found the place where I felt truly comfortable. The loveys were a creative and original element and born of the need to create some of them for my own daughter. After a while, I realized that my little one was getting older and it was time to think about something new. Then I came up with a blanket and a toy with the same design, so the child could have it from baby until it grew.
- Do you have a favourite character from the book?
Oh, it’s very difficult to choose just one, but I think I have a special preference for Theo the Teddy Bear.
- What is your favourite thing to crochet?
I love to crochet amigurumi projects for my daughters and see the stories they create with these characters.
- Can you tell us 5 fun facts about yourself?
- I love to walk barefoot, but I have to put on shoes quickly because otherwise, my daughters would be cold all winter!
- The first thing I put in my suitcase when I travel with my caravan is my crochet supplies.
- I love watching horror movies while I crochet, although I do not really see them, I just listen to them… lol
- I’m the easiest person for my family to buy a gift for… yarns…
- I’m a big fan of “The Big Bang Theory”. I have seen it so many times that for some episodes, I know all the words!