These cute heart-shaped cookies would make wonderful wedding favours or Valentine’s Day gifts. The larger flower from the main cake design is used, with its pretty teardrop details and intricately piped petals and leaves giving a truly romantic feel. This project is excerpted from Chic & Unique Vintage Cakes, by wedding cake-designer Zoe Clark.
Favours for Weddings | Floral Lace Cookies
You Will Need
- 10cm (4in) wide heart-shaped cookies iced with dusky pink sugarpaste (rolled fondant), ideally 24 hours in advance
- Piping bag and nos. 1 and 4 piping tubes (tips)
- Floral Lace template – click here to download
- White royal icing
- White flower (petal/gum) paste
- Pearl lustre
- White edible pearl dragées
- Non toxic/edible glitter
- Edible pen
- Greaseproof (wax) paper
- Needle scriber
1) Download the Floral Lace Template and trace the design onto greaseproof (wax) paper using an edible pen. Pin this onto the iced cookie and, using a needle scriber, prick through the flower motif to mark its outline on cookie.
2) Fill a piping bag with a no.1 piping tube (tip) with soft peak royal icing and pipe over the design in the same way as for the main cake. Pipe the leaf shapes, zigzagging back and forth to fill them in.
3) Thinly roll out some white flower (petal/gum) paste and leave to dry for about 5 minutes before using the no. 4 piping tube (tip) to cut out lots of tiny little dots, or sequins. Press some pearl dragées into the cookie then add the sequins as shown in the photo.
4) Mix some pearl white lustre with alcohol and paint all the sequins and the teardrop piping. Finally, brush a small amount of glue onto the central dragée and dab on some glitter with a paintbrush.
And there you go! These vintage-inspired cookies would make great favours for weddings, or any other special event, or you could even just bake them at home. For a truly show-stopping bake you could combine these cookie designs with other wedding favours and celebration cakes as part of an elegant ‘sweet table’.
Get more vintage-inspired designs for favours for weddings, as well as full-size, tiered celebration cake and wedding cake designs, and amazing novelty cake designs in Zoe Clark’s book Chic & Unique Vintage Cakes.