Make the birthday boy or girl the star of the party with this garland of five fabric stars, stuffed with polyester filling, decorated with buttons, and suspended from ribbon. Makes a beautiful bedroom decoration too! By Anna Wilson.
You Will Need
1. Using the large star template, cut 10 stars from the red patterned fabric.
2. Iron the fusible interfacing to the back of the white and red appliqué fabrics. Cut five medium stars from the red fabric and five small stars from the white fabric. Take one of the large stars and appliqué on a medium star, then appliqué a small star on top.
3. Sew a button to the centre of the star appliqué. Repeat to make four more appliquéd stars.
4. Cut five 10cm (4in) lengths of printed ribbon. Fold a ribbon length in half and place the raw edges at the top of one of the appliquéd stars (loop pointing inwards). Place an undecorated star on top, right sides facing, and pin together. Repeat for the remaining stars.
5. Sew around the edges of the joined stars, sewing straight across the ribbon and leaving a small opening on one side for turning through to the right side. Stuff the stars with polyester filling before sewing the gaps closed.
6. Thread the stuffed stars onto the wide red satin ribbon. Pin the stars an equal distance apart and sew in place.