When Bothy Threads launched their new range this month we were very excited to see illustrations from Sarah Reilly turned into cross stitch kits for everyone to enjoy.
We instantly fell in love with Sarah’s charming designs and wanted to find out more about her.
Sarah Reilly is an artist and illustrator who moved to the Suffolk Coast to enjoy its glorious countryside. Her favourite time of day is walking the dogs in a peaceful woodland which sparks the imagination and nurtures the soul. Like most people she was working full time and dreaming of other possibilities. In January 2015 whilst experimenting with a little hare in watercolour on calico fabric, her style suddenly took on a vibrancy and enchanting feel she had been waiting for.
With a leap of faith, she booked her first country show and started to sell her work bringing characters to life that were an instant hit with customers who had such an emotional reaction to her heart-warming scenes. Thanks to all their wonderful support and growing social media fans, she hasn’t looked back since. She now produces greeting cards, prints and gifts of her designs which are also now available in select shops nationwide.
Bothy Threads obviously saw the same charm that all of Sarah’s customer saw and decided to licence her designs and turn them into cross stitchers. We are so pleased because the two kits that are available are just adorable.
We recently caught up with Sarah for some quick fire questions about herself:
1. When did you start painting? 2 years ago
2. Do you have a favourite poem that goes with your paintings? Yes Stars and Dreams but I love them all!
3. Have you ever done any cross stitch before? yes when i was younger i made lots of christmas decorations to.
4. How did the idea of turning your paintings into cross stitch happen? My mum kept telling me to do it!
5. Can you tell us 5 fun facts about yourself?
- I will never be 5 ft.
- I’m a dreamer.
- I love my dog more than anyone.
- I used to dance the highland fling.
- I’m scared of mayonnaise.