A handmade wedding card is a special reminder of the bridal couple’s happy day. This pretty pop-up cake design would also make a wonderful wedding invitation. by Marion Elliot
You Will Need:
- Two sheets of doublesided paper 15cm x 15cm (6in x 6in)
- Narrow ribbons
1. Take one piece of paper and fold it in half. Take a second piece of paper and trim it to measure 15cm x 13cm (6in x 5in), then fold it in half too. Cut out a heart shape on the fold of the paper where marked.
2. Now mark the cut lines on the back of the trimmed piece of paper. Starting 5cm (2in) from the top of the paper, draw a 2cm (¾in) long line across the middle of the fold.
3. Draw the remaining lines 2cm (¾in) apart to the following lengths: 4cm (1½in); 6cm (23?8in); 8cm (31?8in). Cut along the marked lines using a craft knife and metal ruler. To make the cake layers, push out the paper at each cut, creasing the sides as you go.
4. Trace off the cake plate template and cut out from a contrasting paper.
5. Working on the front of the cake layer paper, stick on the cake plate so that it is parallel to the lowest cake layer. Cut lengths of ribbon to fit across the cake layers and glue in place. Spread a little paper glue onto the back of the narrower cake layer piece of paper and attach it to the front of the wider piece of folded paper, making sure that the cake layers still pop out. Trim the edges of the narrower paper with ribbon.