You won’t believe how quick and easy it is to make these personalised photo tile coasters. You can use any image that you can print out – so let your imagination run wild!
The fumes from the varnish remover can be quite strong, so make sure you work in a well-ventilated area.
- Mirrored laser copies of your photos
- Craft knife and ruler
- Unsealed travertine tiles (95 x 95 mm)
- Nail polish remover (with acetone)
- Cotton wool
- Latex gloves to protect your hands (optional)
- Tile sealer or varnish
Here’s how to make the Photo Tile Coasters…
2. Heat each tile in the microwave for about one minute. This will help the ink transfer to the tile more easily.
3. Place your image face down onto the warm tile and pour some polish remover onto a ball of cotton wool. Rub this over the back of the image until the entire surface of the image is covered with nail polish.
4. Hold the image in place and do not to move it about. If the polish remover starts evaporating, simply pour some more onto the cotton wool and rub the image again.
5. Lift one corner of the colour copy to see if the image is transferring. If you’re happy with the results, leave to dry for a few minutes.
6. When all the tiles are done, peel off the paper. Remove any paper residue with the tips of your fingers.
7. Lastly, seal with tile sealer or varnish.
This project has been excerpted from Handmade Personalized Photo Gifts.