We are really excited to now stock cross stitch charts from the talented Jenny Barton. As a new designer to SewandSo we wanted to find out more about her and her cross stitch story.
When did you first start cross stitching
I was first introduced to cross stitch around 20 years ago when I started working for DMC in their design studio. My first ever cross stitch project was from a DMC stitch a photo chart which I produced myself and it was from a childhood photograph of myself and my younger brother.
What’s your favourite thing to stitch?
I really enjoy working on my cute character designs and it’s generally the subject I’m best known for as a needlework designer. I particularly like to make my own Christmas tree decorations as they can be added to over the years and I always feel nostalgic when it’s time to decorate the tree!
Where do you get inspiration for your designs?
Whether it’s whilst I’m out running or inspiration from something silly one of my daughters say, I’ve generally got ideas for new designs popping into my head most of the time! I often take my sketch pad out with me and sketch or write ideas. Unfortunately, I often have more ideas than I have time to sketch!
What are you stitching at the moment?
I’m currently concentrating on working on some sketches for new designs so I don’t have a stitchy wip at the moment. As soon as I am happy with my designs I will translate them ready to stitch as I can’t bear to be without a stitching project for too long!
Can you tell us 5 fun facts about yourself?
- Whenever I get the chance I really enjoy life drawing. I am often researching online for the next life drawing session in Leicester as I believe that it’s a skill you need to keep refreshed and practise regularly.
- I love trying my hand at different creative techniques, I even recently tried pyrography. I also enjoy photography and occasionally sell photo downloads on a wildlife photography website for artists. My main passion is drawing and I either sketch from real life or from my own photographs.
- I also work as a freelance designer for well known cross stitch magazines such as Cross Stitch Crazy, The World of Cross Stitching, Cross Stitch Gold and Cross Stitcher. As well as producing cross stitch charts from my own designs as a freelancer I also occasionally chart from other designers artwork.
- I also love to spend valuable family time with my husband and 2 daughters. We have 3 parrots , 2 of which continually follow me around the house so I’m nicknamed by my daughter’s friend’s as ‘the crazy parrot lady!’
- I lived in Cyprus, Germany and Gibraltar before finally settling in Leicester!
Thanks so much to jenny for sharing this with us, we are so excited to have her charts now in store.