Looking for great Christmas gift tag ideas? These beautiful Christmas tags by Mandy Shaw from Stitch With Love are sure to be a gift in themselves. There are four designs featuring a hanging stocking, a Christmas robin, a Christmas Tree branch and festive holly to choose from.
- 20cm (8in) square calico or linen
- 30.5cm x 40.5cm (12in x 16in) red felt
- 20cm (8in) square fusible webbing
- Stranded cotton (floss): red, one skein
- Coton à broder: taupe, one skein
- 60cm (24in) decorative ribbon
- Four flower shaped buttons
- Gift Tag Templates
Finished size: 7.5cm x 12cm (3in x 4¾in)
- Running stitch
- Cross stitch
- French knot
- Lazy daisy
1. Cut out four 7.5cm x 10cm (3in x 4in) rectangles from the calico.
Trace the four scenes onto the calico and embroider.
2. Using the gift tag templates cut out eight gift tags from the red felt. Cut the centre aperture from four of the tags for the front of the gift tags.
3. Cut out four rectangles from the fusible webbing that are just a little smaller than the embroidered calico rectangles. Place the rough side of the webbing onto the back of the embroidery and iron to fix. Peel off the paper and position the stitched work onto a felt gift tag back. Check the position by placing the gift tag front over the embroidery. Once you are happy with the embroidery position, iron in place. Using the coton à broder, blanket stitch around the outside of the tag first, then around the aperture.
4. Cut the tape into four 15cm (6in) lengths. Cut both ends of the tapes at a 45-degree angle. Fold the tape in half, cross over the ends and stitch in place to the back of the tag. Sew the flower button on the front of the tag.
Embroidering the scenes
Embroider the design using two strands of stranded cotton (floss). Backstitch the outline of the scenes and add a running stitch line to the centre of the holly leaves to add detail.
Scene 1: Stitch a line of running stitch around the inside of the star and embroider two cross stitches, one on top of the other, for the centre star.
Scene 2: Add French knot detailing to the wreath and for the bird’s eye. Work a double cross stitch star within the star as for Scene 1. Stitch a lazy daisy in the middle of the bauble.
Scene 3: Stitch a line of running stitch to detail the edge of the bell, and French knots to the centre of the heart and for the bird’s eye.
Scene 4: Work individual cross stitches to add detailing to the stocking and Christmas pudding.
These gift tags where excerpted from Stitch with Love, 11 Simple stitches and over 20 easy-to-sew projects, by Mandy Shaw which is available to buy in our online shop.