During the weekend you want to kick back, relax and have a lie in after a long week at work. Create this stylish sleep mask and never been woken by the morning sun again.
When you just want to sleep in on a Saturday, keep the sun from spoiling your slumber with this Sleep Mask. It’s a super simple sewing project that would make a great gift for a friend, or something to keep for yourself.
- Any lightweight to medium-weight fabric that feels soft, such as knit, cotton, or voile,
- Quantity: 1/4 yard (0.2 m)
- 14″ (35.5 cm) length of 3/8” (1 cm) elastic
- 1/4 yard (0.2 m) Pellon Flex-Foam interfacing
- Sleep Mask pattern
- 2 Sleep Mask pattern pieces
- One 20″ x 1 1/2” (51 x 3.8 cm) strip
- 1 Sleep Mask pattern piece
1. Fuse or stitch the interfacing piece to the wrong side of one of the sleep mask pieces.
2. Lay the two sleep mask pieces right sides together and stitch around the edges leaving about a 1″ (2.5 cm) opening along each side (Figure 1).
3. Clip the seam allowance along the nose curve and flip the right side through one of the openings.
4. Fold the strip of fabric in half lengthwise and stitch along the long edge. Use a safety pin to thread to the right side and press. Insert the elastic strip inside the casing. Sew small stitches on each end of the casing so the elastic isn’t lost inside.
5. Fold the seam allowance in toward the wrong side of the mask where the openings were left. Insert one end of the elastic casing and pin in place. Place the other end on the other side of the mask.
6. Topstitch all the way around the edge of the sleep mask at 1/4″ (6 mm) being sure to stitch over the elastic casings so they remain in place.
This pattern is a bonus project from Sew Caroline Weekend Style which is available to pre-order now. If you love this pattern you will love the book.
Weekends never looked better!
From Friday night to Sunday brunch, “What should I wear?” is never a dilemma when you can simply sew your perfect weekend look.
In Sew Caroline Weekend Style, SewCaroline.com blogger Caroline Hulse delivers all the learn-to-sew info a beginner needs, including must-have tools and materials, basic stitches, and step-by-step finishing techniques. From there, you’ll be set to sew Caroline’s easy, go-to pieces for all your weekend adventures. Stitch up coordinates to wear out to brunch, to an afternoon picnic, just lounging around the house, and more. And don’t forget the finishing touches. Versatile bag and accessory patterns stitch up in a snap to complete your ensembles so you can step out–in weekend style!