If, in some other dimension, I were to have a fabulous husband who brought me the finest ever breakfast in bed, then it would have to include these gorgeous coffee cosy sewing patterns. This fab coffee cosy is sure to keep your extra strong coffee nice and toasty. From Free and Easy Stitch Style by Poppy Treffry
You Will Need:
• 40 x 30cm (16 x 12in) of background fabric
• 40 x 30cm (16 x 12in) of lining fabric
• 40 x 30cm (16 x 12in) of wadding (batting)
• Scraps of fabric to make fabric loops
• Fabrics for your chosen appliqué design
• Threads in various colours
1. Make a paper pattern using the coffee cosy template or adapting the shape to fit your own coffee pot. Use the pattern to cut out two pieces each of background and lining fabric.
2. Cut out the fabric pieces of your chosen appliqué design, using the three templates on page 126 for the coffee cup if you wish. Hoop up one piece of background fabric and stitch on your appliqué pieces, outlining each piece and adding the handle. Use shading to fill in the coff ee and the colour of the handle.
3. Press a 2.5cm (1in) turning along the bottom edge of each piece of background fabric. Make a fabric loop in a complementary fabric. Sew the two pieces of background fabric right sides facing, remembering to insert the fabric loop at the top. Turn right sides out and press.
4. Press a 2.5cm (1in) turning along the bottom edge of each piece of lining. Cut two pieces of wadding to match the lining with the turnings folded up. Place one piece of wadding right side down, then the two pieces of lining, right sides
together, on top. Place the second piece of wadding, right side up, on the lining. Tuck the wadding under the turned-up edges.
5. Sew the wadding and lining sandwich together, making sure it will be the same size as the outer cosy. Use the outer cosy as a template to mark the seam lines. Trim away any excess wadding.
6. Slide the wadding and lining sandwich inside the outer cosy. Open out the seams at the bottom corners and sew the lining to the outer cosy, matching the seams and leaving a little of the lining showing. Now you can put the kettle on and make a nice pot of coffee…
We Love This Book
- Free & Easy Stitch Style will expand your sewing creativity with freestyle machine embroidery as you’ve never seen it before! Talented textile designer Poppy Treffry takes you into her studio and demonstrates how to create quirky, fun and memorable pictures and motifs. Layering, fraying and applique all add to the free and easy effect, while techniques such as freestyle shading and texturing create pictures with charm and attitude. The treasure trove of projects include home accents such as cushions and curtains and personal accessories such as handbags and purses to show off your sewing in style. Step- by-step instructions, illustrations and photographs combined with a fresh and funky design mean that “Free & Easy Stitch Style” is bursting with needlecrafting personality and creativity.