It is almost that time of year, the leaves on the trees are changing colour to lush yellow and oranges and your home decor changes from pastel florals to rich autumnal tones.
To add that extra bit of autumn loveliness to your home we have a Harvest coaster sewing pattern for you to get stuck into just in time for the first day of autumn on the 22nd September. It is designed by Linda Clements for 101 Ways to Stitch Craft Create for all Occasions.
These coasters, made in warm shades and decorated with easy blanket stitch applique, will suit most kitchen styles and, for our American friends, make useful Thanksgiving gifts.
You will need:
- Outer background fabric: two 16.5cm (61/2in) squares per coaster
- Inner background fabric: one 11.4cm (41/2in) square per coaster
- Yellow print for pear applique? or green print for apple applique?
- Scraps of green fabrics for leaf and stalk applique?s
- Fusible webbing Wadding (batting)
- Dark brown stranded cotton ( floss)
- Back the inner background fabric square with fusible webbing. Use the template to cut out the small hexagon from the web-backed fabric. Fuse the hexagon in the centre of an outer background square.
- Cut a 7.6cm (3in) square of green or yellow print for the apple or pear. Cut a 5cm (2in) square each of green fabric and dark green for leaf and stalk.
- Back the applique? fabric squares with fusible webbing. Cut out the shapes. Peel off the papers and position the fruit, leaf and stalk on the hexagon; fuse into place. Use three strands of embroidery thread to blanket stitch around the applique?s and the inner hexagon.
- Shape the background squares to the coaster shape using the large hexagon template.
- Cut wadding 6mm (1/4in) smaller and pin to the back of the fronts. Pin fronts and backs together; sew 6mm (1/4in) seam leaving a turning gap. Turn; press in open edges; topstitch close to edge.
You can get the template for the coaster sewing pattern here.