How “tweet” is this pretty little DIY MP3 player case? Keep your tunes safe and sound in this beautiful fabric case with our pretty applique project, perfect for beginners.
To make this DIY MP3 player case, You Will Need:
- Bird MP3 Player Case Pattern
- Fabric for case and lining, two pieces 40cm x 10cm (15½in x 3 7/8in)
- Scraps of fabric for appliqué
- Co-ordinating sewing threads
- Fusible webbing and wadding (batting)
- Ribbon, bead and clip ring
1. Trace all the pieces of the bird and branch motifs onto fusible webbing and cut out roughly. Iron them onto your chosen appliqué fabrics and cut out neatly.
2. Remove the backing paper from the motifs and position them, glue side down, onto the top half of the main fabric. Iron into place. Machine stitch around the motifs using a medium stitch and contrasting thread to appliqué them to the fabric.
3. Iron on a lightweight wadding to the back of the main fabric, and fold the main fabric in half with right sides facing. Insert and pin a loop of ribbon between the side seams, facing inwards.
4. Using a 1cm (3/8in) seam allowance, machine stitch around the sides and bottom edge to within 3cm (1 1/8in) of the top edge, to make the case. Repeat for the lining fabric. Turn the case through to the right side but not the lining.
5. Insert the case into the lining. Pin and machine stitch the top edge of the case and lining together, right sides facing. Leave a 1.5cm (5/8in) gap above the top of the side seam at either side. Turn lining through to the inside.
6. Machine stitch a 1.5cm (5/8in) wide channel across the front and back of the case and thread ribbon through it. Thread on the bead and knot the ribbon ends. Attach a clip to the ribbon loop.